Principles of Collective Worship at Pocklington Community Junior School:
We believe that collective worship is an integral part of our school ethos and allows us, as a school, to provide a cohesive way to:
- Reinforce the strong sense of community in our school and the wider environment
- Share our whole school values
- Contemplate ourselves and our place in the world with reference to current global events
- Contemplate our beliefs(both spiritual and moral) and explore the beliefs of others
- Share in and celebrate the wonder and diversity of the world in which we live
- Make links to our curriculum and reinforce spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- Experience reflection through meditation, prayer and silence
Our weekly Collective Worship topics are detailed below:
14th January 2019 – Making Life better – What did you resolve to do to make life better?
7th January 2019 – New Year’s Resolutions – Can New Year’s resolutions help make life better?
3rd December 2018 – Responsibility – Why should we take responsibility for our actions?
26th November 2018 – Caring – How can we show we care?
19th November 2018 – Being Kind – A continuation of treating each other with respect in different scenarios e.g. sport
12th November 2018 – Being kind – How can we treat each other with respect?
5th November 2018 – Poetry – How can poetry make us appreciate the world we live in?
22nd October 2018 – Disabilities – Exploring Mental Health as a disability.
15th October 2018 – Prayer & Meditation – How does visualisation help us to experience spirituality?
8th October 2018 – Prayer & Meditation – Why do people pray?
1st October 2018 – Hope – What is meant by hope and why is it important?
24th September 2018 – Freedom & Responsibility – can you have freedom without responsibility, making choices between right and wrong and being responsible for our actions.
17th September 2018 – Global issues – whose responsibility is it to care for our planet?
10th September 2018 – Why are we here? – exploring the relationship between science and religion.
3rd September 2018 – Introducing the wonder of nature – an open discussion on the wonder of our planet, what does a sense of wonder mean and feel like.